Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Biddle Gets Lucky

It cannot get much better, can it? Ward 3/4 School Board candidate hit the Janney Jackpot last Saturday night. James Jones of the city Paper tells the rest of the story:

When Sekou Biddle showed up at the auction and raffle for Janney Elementary School in Tenleytown on Saturday night, he wasn’t making a campaign stop. The candidate for the vacant school board seat representing Wards 3 and 4 says he was really just looking to catch up with some friends and contribute to the school fundraiser.

Biddle plopped down $50 for one raffle ticket. “I was thinking I might win a toaster or something,” he says. “I was talking with a friend, when somebody came up to me and said, ‘Hey, they’re calling your name up there,’” says Biddle.

He was declared the winner of the top raffle prize of $5,000. Biddle hadn’t even looked at the ticket.

“I don’t know what to do with the money,” says Biddle, who isn’t exactly getting rich on the campaign trail, seeing as he took unpaid leave from his job to campaign. For a moment, Biddle considered staking all the money on another wager. “The other thought I had was to take it as a sign and dump it all into the campaign,” he said.

After the gamblers rush faded, Biddle decided it was no time to let it ride.

“I think I’m going to give some to help fund the dual-language program at my son’s school [Shepherd Elementary],” he says. “I might cover the expenses for another child.”

He also plans to make a contribution to Janney Elementary, but he doesn’t think it would be wise to give back the entire $5,000. “I would want to stay away from any perception that I am giving money to Janney to get votes from parents,” he says.


Hopefully this is a good omen for Mr. Biddle, who is tops among a terrific slate of candidates to fill the seat vacated when Victor Reinoso was appointed to Mayor Fenty's cabinet.

No comments: